- The Importance of Stretching
- Sciatica can Literally be a Pain in the .
- Is that pain Arthritis?
- Daily Care for a Healthy Back
- Chiropractic can benefit Pregnant Women
- Is Chiropractic Treatment Safe? -- Part I
- Is Chiropractic Treatment Safe? -- Part II
- Is Chiropractic Treatment Safe? -- Part III
- Study Provides Further Support for Spinal Manipulation for Acute Low Back Pain
- The American College of Physicians Issues New Guidelines For Treating Low Back Pain -- Chiropractic Recommended
- Doctors of Chiropractic Provide Alternative To Opioids For Pain Management
- Chiropractic Care in Children With Growing Pains
- Don't Rely on Smartphone Apps to Treat Back Pain
- Chiropractors Offer Alternative to NSAIDs for Back Pain
- Is Back Pain Killing Us?
- Chiropractic Care
- No Drug Relief in Sight for Those Suffering From Sciatica
- How the Spine Wears Down
- Chiropractic and Your Hips
- Your Back's Anatomy
- Protect Your Joints
- Back-Friendly Practices During the Day
- Posture at the Computer
- Mainstream Medicine Has Failed People With Chronic Back Pain
- Opioids Don't Actually Help Many Patients With Chronic Low Back Pain
- Sciatica Is Caused By Nerve Compression
- Alternative Therapies for Chronic Back Pain
- Chiropractic Care Ranked Highest of All Conventional Treatments For Back Pain
- Don't Let Lower Back Injuries Take You Down For The Count
- Does Your Back Feel Stiff? Well, It may not Actually Be Stiff, A New Study Finds
- Study Uncovers Key to Preventing Back Pain in Runners
- How Gardeners Can Dig for Health, Not Injury
- Back Pain is Common in Highly Active Older Adults
- 31 Million Americans Experience Low-Back Pain at Any Given Time
- There is No Relationship Between Rainy Weather and Back Pain
- Preventing Travel Aches and Strains
- Avoiding Back Pain on an Airplane
- Chiropractic Treatment of Piriformis Syndrome
- Avoiding Recurring and Chronic Back Pain
- Chiropractic Management of Migraine
- One Third of People Aged 40-59 Have Evidence of Degenerative Disc Disease
- Diagnosis and Treatment of Low Back Pain
- Is your Ipad Being a Literal Pain in the Neck?
- Preventing "Ipad Neck"
- Baseball, Migraines, and Chiropractic Care
Treating the Symptoms, Not the Cause, is Senseless
By: Dr. Donna A. Pontoriero, Chiropractor
The word "doctor" means "teacher". Too many physicians today have forgotten this. It is not enough to get rid of a pain or other ailments; learning how to prevent them is also very important. Changing the oil in your car while neglecting to change the oil filter is senseless. Getting rid of a pain or an ailment without understanding why it occurred and how to prevent it is also senseless. Treating the symptoms instead of the cause has been the order of the day. It's time physicians of all types stop only treating the symptoms and educate their patients on how to develop a natural, healthy lifestyle.
A chiropractor is a holistic health care physician. As a matter of fact, chiropractic is the largest drug-free natural health care profession in the world. Holistic means that the whole body is taken into consideration and not just the area affected by the ailment. For example, by taking an aspirin to alleviate a headache you are treating the area affected by the ailment or the symptom, instead of finding the cause of the headache. At times it may seem preferable to take medication to alleviate extreme discomfort, but you should understand that hiding the pain with drugs will not solve the cause of the problem. The pain and discomfort will eventually return and can be much more severe than before. A chiropractor gives no medication, but tries to find the cause of the problem and takes the time to explain and educate the patient about preventing further occurrences and maintaining a holistic health lifestyle. A chiropractor teaches six facets of health.
- Proper exercise of correct type.
- Proper posture
- Positive mental attitude
- Getting enough sleep so your body can heal itself
- Proper nutrition (remember you are what you eat)
- Maintaining a balanced nervous system, because it controls every function of the body.
Health care professionals must work together to educate the public about natural health care. Chiropractors combine gentle spinal adjustments along with patient education to help the patient on the way to a natural, holistic lifestyle. This approach enables people to help themselves live healthier, vibrant, stress-free lives. If your physicians only treat your symptoms without treating the cause or teaching you how to prevent it from happening again, consider taking the step toward a natural, healthy way of life.
Dr. Donna Pontoriero can be reached at 299 Franklin Ave, Nutley, 973-235-9393.